Saturday, October 09, 2004

Mommy Notes

Well, I had to go digging in my son's poop this week. I can't emphasize enough that no one can ever tell you what parenting is going to be like. When you don't have kids, you poo-poo the comments anyway..."Yeah, right, I know...I know...It's hard work, it's not for the faint at heart..Blah..Blah..Blah..." Well, it's not for the weak-stomached either!! My son has had diarrhea off and on (more on than off) for a month and a half. I finally took him to the doctor because this can't be right. I know there is such a thing as toddler diarrhea but give me a break. His poor bottom was so raw. So I took him in. And they bascially told me everything I already know. Is he drinking milk? No his is on Soy milk. Fixed the first issue with diarrhea and vomiting at 12 months. Not a bug because it has lasted so long. Not mal-nourishing because he has gained almost 2 pounds in 2 months (his last checkup). So it is probably toddler diarrhea. In that case you just deal with it until it goes away. BUT! The doctor still wanted to check for man-nourishment and some parasite (which it is not because he is not in pain or acting sick). So I have to collect 3 samples, Your kidding, right? Nope!! 3 samples. So I have to take the diaper in the bathroom and dig through diarrhea with a tongue depressor and get enough crap (literally) in 2 jars with liquid in them. Oh that is nice to see, the poop mixing with the liquid. And one sample in a pee specimen cup. All the while my 2 year old is standing on her tip toes to see what is going on and asking "What doing, mommy? What doing?" Well, dear I am playing in your brother's poop. "Ohhh" in the tone like "what are you an idiot?" So I will find out the results on Monday which will be that he has toddler diarrhea and I just have to deal with it. My husband says "aren't you at least glad that you will know that he is ok". I said I know he is ok and I didn't have to dig in his poop to know that. :) When I got done at the doctor's office and was telling him what had to be done, I told Slammer that the doctor said that it would be best for the dad to collect the sample because he is the Dad. He didn't fall for it...

THE BINKY IS GONE! I repeat THE BINKY IS GONE! So Princess loves her binky, good thing is she loves her blankie more. Which dear mom sort of helped along, knowing that binky would be the first friend she would have to say goodbye to. I am not opposed to binkys. In fact I think they are a great thing. I decided at 2 we would shift Princess and Binky to a nap and bedtime only relationship. She did well with the transition. She only had one or two instances when we were going somewhere that she wanted it because it was our routine to find binky and blankie before we left. So for the last 5 months Binky has only been used for nap and bed time. Well, tonight binky went bye bye for good. Princess was going to stay with Grammy all night. She was at Grammy's so Slammer and I could have dinner in peace. So we went to pickup the kids and Princess wanted to stay. More to play with the cool castle that is at Grammy's than to stay the night but I thought she might go ahead and stay. She didn't have her binky but that didn't seem to bother her. She still wanted to stay with Grammy. So I let her stay, knowing also that Lately, she has not wanted to stay at Grammy's as much and has had a problem with staying overnight the last couple of times I have left her. Before bed she says she wants mommy. The last few times she has stayed but tonight she really didn't want to stay. And she is getting sick so I went back to get her. Well, I was going to use this night to take the binkys away since she did not need it at Grammy's and my mom (Grammy) said that she really didn't seem to miss the binky. So I brought her home and put her in bed and she was just getting ready to fall asleep when she said Binky. They were not in plain sight, so I said "I thought there was no binky" She kind of whimpered but laid back down. I found the binkys (she has 3) and snuck them out. They are now in my underwear drawer where she will not find them. And on Friday they go out with the trash. Yeah!! My plan was to have them gone by the time she was 3 but I was going to wait until the first of the year to take them. So far it seems way to easy. We will see how tomorrow goes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Oh the joys of motherhood! All my kids...all five....loved thier binkies and I loved their binkies, too. When it was time to say bye bye I cut the binky nipple a little to make it not work like it should. That way they knew it was broken and it wouldn't work anymore. It made it easier to let go although they still carried it around for a couple days.

I hope the baby is okay!!! Poor thing. And yeah, that's gross having to scrape up samples. icky.

7:23 AM  
Blogger ShadowAngel said...

Playing in poop. You have to love being a parent sometimes...

Thankfully I avoided the binky thing altogether with both of mine, but I nursed them both and they pretty much used me as a pacifier. I'm not so sure that the binky would have been a better choice.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home